Tuesday, May 3, 2011

HW 51

In the second third of the book Mortician Diaries I read a lot of really sad stories from many different families and other people such as funeral directors and others. Yet as sad as they all were there were a lot of senses of humor and happiness in a lot of them. I think that it is trying to show that with death the appreciation of life comes. To appreciate the life that has been lived and ones own life. As well as being a sad depressing day where you are suppose to morn a funeral is also the celebration of life. "People talked, laughed, and simply enjoyed the hour together with food and drink." pg. 51. Early in this passage also it said that over one hundred people were there. I feel that to get one hundred people, many of which may not even know each other in a room laughing and talking over food is one of the hardest things to do. It's kind of a shame that the death of somebody is what brings these people together. If people could just come together regularly and celebrate like that the world would be a lot happier place. I also realized that death is very cliché. In many of the stories there was a very typical beginning or turning point. Like this one said "I was barely 14 when my mother became very ill." pg. 64. I remembered hearing tons of stories just like this one before and it made me think how we're all connected. That there is always somebody out there with the same problem or similar problem and that we live in a really small world when you think about it. That lead to me to think that death connects each and every one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment